Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Day 11

I've really had my hands full lately. I'm trying my best to make sure all the kittens are eating well. 3/4 kittens have opened their eyes, and I'm sure you can guess which one hasn't. Good news! The small kitten has gained 18 grams since coming back home on Friday, so I'm thinking my methods are working.

I do have a question for the foster parents out there, I've been looking into getting a crate for when the kittens get a little older. I found an amazing deal on Amazon for a 24lx18wx21h crate, that's only $21.24. I'm wondering if I should snag this deal up, and if crates have helped YOU in fostering animals of the feline variety. (I put the link on the text, in case you guys are interested in this BARGAIN!)



6 comments:

  1. I actually used a crate when my guys were younger. Mom seemed to appreciate the 'denning' aspect. Now that my guys are bigger they have free run of my spare bedroom which has been kitten proofed. It is really important to consider if you have a safe space for your little ones, because once they get to the four week range, the toddling becomes running and they will be in everything. Their favorite thing to do is to chew electrical wires, obviously a big no no. I don't know if this was at all helpful, but if you don't have a safe space for the kittens to be when you aren't around to supervise, a crate might be handy. Make sure its big enough for a litter box (the bottom from a case of canned food makes a good 'starter' litter box), give them some cozy blankets and fresh water and food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking that since it's so cheap, I might as well go for it and try it out. I can always use it on another litter, or donate it to the shelter..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, that's a great deal. A 24" crate is kind of small though - I don't know if it'll give them much room. It might be good for transporting them all to/from the vet/shelter together, but I wouldn't keep the mom and kittens in there together for long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking at some REALLY big (4 footers!) cages. They range anywhere from $50-80 used. I might just wait a couple weeks and get one of those..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use a child's wading pool. It's big enough and the sides are slippery so the kittens can't escape!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is SUCH a great idea! I never thought of that! THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete