Saturday, April 3, 2010

Day 8

Yesterday, I took the fosters to the vet. I was told the runt was going to be euthanized. There was another that they recommended to be euthinized. The runt was SEVERELY dehydrated and SEVERELY underweight. The other one is dehydrated, and really underweight as well, and they believe that it's fate will be similar. I agreed to take it home and try to nurse it back to health, but if there's no progress I'll need to take it back to be euthinized. I cried. They told me if it was too much to handle, I should let them know. I just needed a good long cry, which I had in the car on the way home.

On another note, the "new runt" is pretty good about accepting the Pedialyte I offer. Every once in a while even Mama takes a few sips. I've been taking the babies away from mom every few hours for at least 20 minutes. Now that they're a bit older, they don't cry for food as much, which keeps Mama calm while I have her nurse the one kitten. Sometimes she'll go and pick up another kitten who can't keep quiet, but as long as the tiny one eats well, I don't mind.

I apologize for ending abruptly, but I'm at work, and trying to hold myself together. I'll probably add an update later.

UPDATE: Since the kittens were weighed yesterday, they have all gained well, even the small one. I'm confident that the rest will all be in good shape in the next coming weeks. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi There,
    I just found your blog from House of the Discarded. I'm a foster parent with the same organization as Beth (the blogwriter). I just wanted to express my condolences for the loss of that little life. Sometimes this is hard but in the end its all worth it because you've got others that you have saved. And for what comfort its worth, you tried and you were there when she was put to sleep. I have a litter of seven week old kittens myself who have been with me since the beginning, the runt is still less than half the size of its bigger siblings but has never been weak or sickly (thank goodness). They are crazy and there are never ending kitten antics at my place which my older cats (four including 1 foster) don't much appreciate it but its so rewarding to see them go through this amazing stage of life. Best of luck with the remaining babies

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so hard losing these little babies! I also rescue/foster. Take a moment to cry for the one that's lost and then keep going by focusing on the survivors.
    What I love is watching these little guys as they are learning how to walk, run, and play!

    ReplyDelete