Sunday, May 2, 2010

De-Fat Your Cat

Have you heard about the proposal in California to ban toys from Happy Meals?!  If only it were that easy.

I've been concerned about Mama cat's wieght, so I went to a vet's office, and they had a chart that had pictures of what the ideal cat weight is. It looks a little something like this:
I was told that Mama was a touch underweight, but that she was close to the ideal cat size- I was shocked! That means my cat's must be.. OBESE (Actually, they're probably just a touch overweight). Either way, I was told there are 4 simple ways to "De-Fat your Cat" and here they are:

1) Portion Control: Keep food out of reach, and only feed twice a day, don't let them graze all day.
2) Change Diet: Put your animal on a prescription diet food.
3) Play!: Invest in interactive toys (lasers, fishing poles, etc.)
4) Climb: Encourage your cats to climb by purchasing a cat tree.

3 comments:

  1. I have a couple of girl kitties that have been on a diet. It seems counter-intutitive but can food helps them lose weight. It's the dry food that causes the most weight gain. So feed two or three times a day, can food. It needs to be high protein can food, no carbs. And they need to lose the weight slowly. No more then 2 % of their body weight a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sitting here thinking canned food- with all the 'delicious' looking gravy would be bad for little kitty. That's so interesting.

    However, I do like my kitties to have a little chub since I do like to squish them every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting! Around my house we use another method to keep the cats thin - they get lots of exercise by running around avoiding the dogs. Works great for their physical health - not so sure about their mental health. :-)

    ReplyDelete