Monday, March 8, 2010

This is where the story begins..

The American Human Association states that "56 percent of dogs and 71 percent of cats that enter animal shelters are euthanized."

There are tons of animals that need foster homes, you could not even believe! Injured animals that require a relaxing place to heal, some that need a quiet place to cope with depression, and others that could use a vacation from living in a cramped cages at the shelter. The ones that need help the most are newborn animals, the lucky ones are still weaning, others need to be bottle fed every few hours.

In an effort to help reduce the amount of overcrowding in animal shelters, I've applied to foster a few in my own home. It was almost too easy to apply; I just shot an email to my local ASPCA, and received a call the next afternoon. I'll be setting up an orientation, and possibly bringing home an animal as early as this week!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your decision to foster a homeless animal! Every group has their own rules and manner of doing things, so I can't tell you for sure what to expect, but it will definitely be an adventure! It's a great way to make a difference - I love fostering and being a part of changing a dog or cat's life for the better. I can't wait to read more about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete